Ageing is a natural process and everyone ages with time. When we pass the age of 60, we undergo some hormonal and structural changes. Some other problems that manifest include drop in appetite, oral problems, decreased digestive health and slow metabolism besides some common health problems like heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and osteoporosis(especially in women).
That is why, it is important for senior citizens to take care of their health and avoid chronic health issues. Those who cross 60, should concentrate on meals which are rich in nutrients and are easily chewable and swallowable. The food should also be easy to digest.
Some things that you can follow are:-
- You should consume more vegetables and fruits. Some fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants and fiber include cluster beans, broccoli, amla, orange and grapefruit. One should limit the use of starchy foods like sweet potato, yam, potato etc. Some good salads and soups include Broccoli Soup, Fruit Salad, Grilled Caesar Salad, Crudo Vegetable Salad, Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower Salad, Beetroot, squash and feta salad.
- You should consume 2 litres of water everyday. Dehydration may result in tiredness, constipation and dizziness.
- You should increase your protein intake. One of the healthy vegan dish that is high in protein and low in fat is khichdi. You should also occasionally try eggs and lean meat as they are rich in protein.
- It is necessary for women to not miss the consumption of calcium, especially those who have osteoporosis. You should include dairy items like paneer, curds, butter milk along with broccoli, ragi flour and greens. Those who are obese must go for low fat dairy food. Some of the high calcium dishes include Rajasthani Pakora Kadhi and Date and Apple Shake.
- Refined foods like semolina and maida can be swapped with whole grains like oats, quinoa, jowar and barley.
- Nuts and oil seeds that are rich in Omega 3 fats include almonds, flaxseeds, walnuts etc. Some healthy dishes that you can include are Flaxseeds Dry Chutney and Walnut Sheera.
- You should remove extra spice from your meal as it can be irritating for your gut.
- Use of fresh herbs like parsley, coriander and mint leaves will help in making your meals pleasing and increased appetite.
- Avoid buying processed and salty foods like packaged soups as they are high in sodium content and increase cardiovascular diseases and hypertension.
- Fried foods and sweets should be consumed in limited quantities and once in two weeks.
- Some medications that you take at this age may decrease your appetite and cause gastric problems. So, it is recommended that you consume food that is easily digestible like cooked vegetables, dals, rice, oats porridge, Dahiwali Toovar Dal, Bajra Khichdi and Strawberry Yogurt.
- Do exercise daily that will keep you fit and fine. Daily exercise for half an hour is necessary. Activities like yoga and brisk walking will help.